Sin Shows Itself And True Repentance
2 Kings 22:8-14
8. And Hilkiah the high priest said unto Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book of the law in the house of the Lord. And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it.
9. And Shaphan the scribe came to the king, and brought the king word again, and said, Thy servants have gathered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of them that do the work, that have the oversight of the house of the Lord.
10. And Shaphan the scribe shewed the king, saying, Hilkiah the priest hath delivered me a book. And Shaphan read it before the king.
11. And it came to pass, when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he rent his clothes.
12. And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Michaiah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asahiah a servant of the king’s, saying,
13. Go ye, enquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us.
14. So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college;) and they communed with her.
For many years the people of Judah had kings that were evil in the sight of God. Finally, God had enough of their evil ways, but Josiah wanted to serve and live for God.
After deciding to repair the temple, the high priest found the law of the Lord. After reading the law of the Lord, Josiah realized just how much his nation had turned away from God. He repented of the sin that was in his life and the nation.
That’s what needs to happen today. We need to realize that, through reading of the Word of God, we are sinful and need repentance in our lives.
God said that he would bring judgment on the nation. God decided to spare King Josiah from seeing the things to come, because his heart was tender and he humbled himself before the Lord.
Josiah repented of his sins which is what we should do when we realized we have sinned against God and will face judgment.